"New-Method" No. 11
We introduce the email bulletin "New-Method" No. 11 with our works and guest contributions. This issue features Oyama Enrico Isamu Letter, an artist and critic for the contributor.
Meta-cognition and Literacy
Oyama Enrico Isamu Letter (Artist)
It is difficult to write a 200 word essay. As it is too short to say anything if casually approached, I will write on the 200 word limitation itself, thus adopting meta-cognition, which however is almost coercive so that anything like meta-cognition has not worked. Besides, a meta position always entails its meta, whose dynamism will capture a line "anything like meta-cognition has not worked" into the meta-spiral. It is fairly hard to break this spiral. Yet, looking at Twitter for instance, information architecture seems to have canceled out the spiral. Once accustomed to the 140 letters limitation, one no longer feels it short, and the initial meta-cognition gradually withers away to the background. Assume that meta-cognition is originally to lure invisible conditions that define a cognition to the foreground, Twitter, in contrast, the invisualizing comes rather later. Then, what would happen? In present cultural situations, not limited to information, cognition concerning literacy has become more significant possibly instead of meta-cognition. It is required to cross-over gaps among plural cognitions, rather than to trace a single cognition back to its basic conditions. Although unable to fully describe here, such a transition will be a remarkable point to reflect upon contemporary culture.
(Note: We "New-Method" offer guest contributions for the bulletin normally in 200 words.)
[Web Works of the New-Methodicists]
- Takahiro Hirama
The word "untitled" is the generic title for untitled works. Generally, the title is the result of a conscious choice by the artist.
- Shogo Baba
Ascending Order Sort No. 3 "Comb Sort"
"Ascending Order Sort" is a method. A method itself does not vary. Essentially, "Ascending Order Sort" itself is a work without its embodiment. When a method is embodied, it is for intuition.
- Hideki Nakazawa
Source and Execution No. 59 - 65
Assume that three webpages are given. Assume that each webpage has a link to either of the two other pages, or has links to both. These three pages have seven possible combinations. You are given the chance of patrolling the three pages unwillingly, falling into toggle between two pages, having no other choice than to go back the same way, or appreciating freedom of choosing either of the other webpages at all times.
- "New-Method Night Vol. 1" Aug. 27, 2011, 20202, Tokyo. http://www.shinrin20202.jp/
- "Sea Bathing" http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/sea_e.html
- [AKA-070] New-Method - Monetary Donation (Extended Mix) http://www.jarchive.org/akami/
- "New-Method" official webpage has been updated. http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/
- Takahiro Hirama has updated his website. http://hrmtkhr.web.fc2.com/
- Shogo Baba has updated his website. http://7x7whitebell.net/
- Hideki Nakazawa has updated his website. http://aloalo.co.jp/nakazawa/
- If you would like to receive the email bulletin "New-Method," please let us know.
- This bulletin is free to redistribute while all rights are reserved.
- This bulletin will sometimes be sort into the spam folder. Please be reminded.
Now I guess the word "No Work" by Takahiro Hirama has been familiar to readers of this bulletin, and his "No Work Work Show" will be held at 20202 from Aug. 8th to Sep. 3rd. I hope you'd come to the exhibition. info http://www.shinrin20202.jp/ (Kaido)
Takahiro Hirama @qwertyu1357
Shogo Baba @shogobaba
Hideki Nakazawa @nakaZAWAHIDEKI
Masaru Kaido @kaido1900
Bulletin "New-Method" No. 11 English Version
Published on Aug. 4, 2011
- Multiposted both the else Japanese email and the above English email to both users of Japanese and English together with Takahiro Hirama and Shogo Baba.
- This site is made in person by Hideki Nakazawa. See also "Notebook."
- Make contact with Gallery Cellar for Nakazawa's works, writings, lectures and others. Email to email@example.com including CC to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Japanese | NAKAZAWA HIDEKI's homepage